Monday, March 8, 2010

Potato Soup for the thighs...not the soul

Guilt-Free Comfort Food
Potato soup is one of my ultimate favorites! And I have a pretty awesome recipe that involves lots and lots of potatoes, with cream of chicken cans and a bit more lard in the mix to complete what makes quite an amazing dish......This, however, is not going to be in the mix for a bikini so in keeping with the theme, I figured I'd share a new low cal version that actually tastes pretty amazing! I got it from a site showing low cal versions of potato soup based on diets and this one went with weight watchers....2 points a cup. (minus the toppings) I would site it, but I cant remember the name and cant seem to relocate it for the life of me, but if you google it, there are hundreds of sites showing the recipe.

Serving size: 2 for dinner, leftovers for lunch...OR a family of four
Here's what you'll need:
1) Half a large bag of frozen hash browns
2) a packet of country style gravy mix
3) a chicken cube (I will not attempt to spell the word..although I say it quite nicely)
4)a tub of chicken broth (add more or less according to the consistency you're looking for)
5)cheddar cheese (2% milk)
6)Gwaltney bacon (green box 40% less fat) this isnt turkey bacon so it's still amazingly good
7) one clove of garlic finely chopped
Spray the bottom of your pan, and add the garlic on low to medium heat...careful to not burn it....until a golden shade.

Next you'll add a splash of your broth and all of your hash browns, keeping the heat on medium. Once the hash browns are soft, mush them a bit with a spoon, then add the remainder of your broth and simmer for about 15 minutes allowing the hash browns to soften a bit more. Mash again a little, then add the gravy seasoning and a chicken cube (or 2 depending on how thick your broth is). Add light salt, fresh pepper, and simmer for about 15-20 minutes. (Those 2 yellow umps are my chicken cubes not quite melted....)
top with cooked crunchy bacon and some cheese. Serve with a yummy panini and enjoy your comfort food that you won't feel guilty about later on.
Happy Monday everyone! I hope you all enjoyed your weekend
xxx

No comments: